Waterproof labels are a type of labelling solution that is designed to withstand moisture, water and other liquids, making them suitable for a wide range of applications and industries.
These labels are made from materials that are resistant to water and other liquids allowing them to maintain their integrity and readability even in harsh and wet environments.
In this article, we will explore the different types of waterproof labels their applications and when they should be used to ensure maximum durability and longevity.
What are Waterproof Labels?
Waterproof labels are designed and manufactured with special materials and coatings to withstand exposure to water, moisture and other liquids. They are often made of synthetic stock such as vinyl or plastic that is treated with a waterproof coating.
The labels may also contain UV inhibitors to protect the print from fading in direct sunlight. Waterproof labels can be used in a wide variety of applications from product labeling to outdoor signs.
They are ideal for any situation where the label needs to remain legible and intact even in wet or humid conditions. Waterproof labels can be printed with various printing processes including thermal transfer, flexography and digital printing.
Types of Waterproof Labels
There are three main types of waterproof labels: polyester, polypropylene and vinyl.
- Polyester Labels: Polyester labels are the most popular type of waterproof label. They are generally made from a combination of materials such as PVC and PET (polyethylene terephthalate). The material’s thick film makes it durable waterproof and resistant to most chemicals. Polyester labels are best suited for outdoor use due to their weather resistance and ability to withstand extreme temperatures.
- Polypropylene Labels: Polypropylene labels are made from a combination of plastic and rubber materials that make them both flexible and lightweight. This type of label is waterproof and resistant to most chemicals. It also has a high tolerance to heat and cold making it ideal for outdoor use.
- Vinyl Labels: Vinyl labels are made from a combination of PVC (polyvinyl chloride) and polyester films that make them strong, waterproof and highly resistant to extreme temperatures. They are the most durable type of label and are often used for outdoor applications.
They can also be printed with special inks to make them resistant to UV light making them ideal for use outdoors. Vinyl labels have a higher cost than the other two types of labels but they last longer and provide more detailed results when printed.
Characteristics of waterproof labels
Here are some of the features that make waterproof labels an ideal choice for many applications:
- Durability: Waterproof labels are designed to withstand various environmental conditions and usually have a long shelf life. They can also be used outdoors including in harsh climates such as deserts snow or rain. The material used in waterproof labels is often stronger than traditional paper labels making them more durable and reliable over the long term.
- Resistance to Moisture and Water: The materials used in waterproof labels are designed to be highly resistant to moisture and water. This makes them ideal for applications such as product labelling and warning labels which need to remain legible in wet conditions. Waterproof labels are also less likely to become smudged or smeared when exposed to moisture or water.
- Adhesion Strength: Waterproof labels usually have a stronger adhesive than traditional paper labels which ensures that they stay in place and remain firmly affixed to the surface. This prevents them from peeling or becoming dislodged even when exposed to high temperatures or heavy moisture.
- UV Resistance: Waterproof labels are designed to be highly resistant to ultraviolet (UV) rays making them suitable for outdoor applications where they may be exposed to direct sunlight for extended periods.
The material used in the labels is usually high-grade and designed specifically to resist UV degradation which helps ensure that the labels remain to look clean and legible over the long term.
Advantages of waterproof labels
There are many advantages to using waterproof labels.
A. Protect product information: Waterproof labels protect the printed details from moisture, dirt and other environmental elements. This ensures that the printed information remains legible and easily readable for as long as possible.
The ability to protect product information helps ensure that consumers are properly informed about the products they are buying and using.
B. Longevity: Waterproof labels remain intact even when exposed to water or moisture. They don’t degrade or fade over time which means they maintain their appearance and legibility regardless of the environment they are exposed to.
This helps to ensure that your products remain properly marked and identified even after prolonged use.
C. Cost-effectiveness: Waterproof labels are often more cost-effective than other printing solutions such as silk screening or engraving. This helps to keep your costs down while still providing you with a quality label that is both durable and legible.
The cost savings associated with using waterproof labels can add up over time making them an economical choice in the long run.
When to use waterproof labels?
Some of the most common uses for waterproof labels include Outdoor products, Products in damp or humid environments Products that require frequent cleaning or exposure to water and Products with a long shelf life.
- Outdoor products: Waterproof labels are ideal for outdoor products because they can withstand rain, snow, sleet and other inclement weather. The adhesive remains strong even when immersed in water making them useful for products that will be exposed to the elements or stored outdoors.
- Products in damp or humid environments: When products are exposed to damp or humid conditions labels need to stay put. Waterproof labels provide a strong adhesive that won’t peel off due to moisture. This makes them perfect for labels that need to be applied in damp or humid conditions such as in bathrooms and kitchens.
- Products that require frequent cleaning or exposure to water: Waterproof labels are also the ideal choice for products that require regular cleaning or exposure to water. The adhesive remains strong so it won’t peel off during washing or other cleaning processes.
- Products with a long shelf life: Finally, waterproof labels are especially useful for products that have a longer shelf life. The adhesive remains strong through changes in temperature and humidity ensuring the label will stay on even when stored over some time.
This makes them perfect for food and beverage labels and other products with a longer shelf life.
FAQs – Waterproof Labels
How are waterproof labels different from regular labels?
Waterproof labels are made from specialized materials that are designed to be highly resistant to moisture and water.
They also have a stronger adhesive than regular paper labels and are designed to last much longer making them a more reliable labeling solution for products with a long shelf life.
Are waterproof labels suitable for outdoor use?
Yes, waterproof labels are designed to be highly resistant to ultraviolet (UV) rays, making them suitable for outdoor applications.
They are also designed to remain legible and in good condition even when exposed to harsh conditions such as rain, snow or extreme temperatures.
What materials are waterproof labels made of?
Waterproof labels are made of polyester, vinyl or polypropylene material. These materials are designed to withstand moisture and the elements for long-term use. The labels are laminated with either a permanent or removable adhesive, depending on the application.
Polyester and vinyl materials offer excellent durability and resistance to temperature, sunlight and abrasion. offer excellent durability and resistance to temperature, sunlight and abrasion.
Can waterproof labels be used on products that will be submerged in water?
Yes, waterproof labels can be used on products that will be submerged in water. Waterproof labels are designed to withstand underwater for extended periods and can be applied to products that will be submerged in water.
They protect against moisture, chemicals, oils, detergents and more. Waterproof labels can also provide a highly visible warning to prevent users from submerging products in water or other liquids containing hazardous materials.
Waterproof labels are an important tool for any business or individual who wants to make a professional impression. They can be used on products, packaging and even documents.
When choosing waterproof labels it’s important to consider the material, the adhesive and the printing process.
With so many options available finding the perfect label for your needs is easier than ever before. Have you used waterproof labels? What was your experience? Let us know in the comments below!